Tips & Tricks
Tips to maintain your Jewellery
- Apply lotion, cosmetics, hairspray and perfume before wearing your jewellery.
- After removal of jewellery, wipe each piece with a clean soft cloth to remove oils and perspiration.
- Store in fabric-lined box, separately or individually-wrapped in tissue to prevent scratches.
- Never wear jewellery when doing physical work such as housekeeping, gardening or exercise.
- Never expose jewellery to household cleaning products, such as bleach and chlorine.
Tips for Cleaning:
- Follow the instructions appearing on the label or box.
- Clean in a secure location; not the rim of a sink, where a piece may slip down the drain.
- Use only a soft brush, never sharp or hard objects, to remove dirt or particles.
- Clean your jewellery often. Lotions, soaps and skin oils alter the optical properties of diamonds and gemstones, causing them to look dull.
- Seriously spoiled jewellery should be cleaned professionally.
- Clean diamond jewellery with a soft brush dipped in warm water and mild detergent and rinse under running water.
- Never expose pearl jewellery and coloured gemstone to chemicals, solvents or ultrasonic without knowing their specific cleaning requirements.
- Store each piece in a soft bag.
Tips for Long Life:
- Keep your laboratory reports n a safe location, separate from jewellery pieces, for security.
- Have your jewellery cleaned and checked by a professional for worn mountings, loose prongs and general condition at least once per year.
- Have white gold re-plated, platinum re-polished and prongs re-tipped as necessary to maintain original condition (generally every 24 months or so).
- Have frequently worn pearls re-strung as necessary, with a knot between each pearl to prevent loss if the string breaks.
- Some coloured gemstones should not be exposed to sudden temperature changes; know your pieces and their needs.
- Select daily wear jewellery that is in harmony with your lifestyle and schedule of activities.
- Treat each piece as if it is a family heirloom, for one day it will be!